Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Just Live

I found out this morning that my friend lies in a coma in a hospital. Her family is considering taking her off of life support soon. It seems inevitable that she will die this week. No one could have seen this coming.

All my thoughts are bent on my friend, her memory, the few fun times we had together. We've been good friends for only six months or so. Right away I felt like I could tell her anything. She was safe, encouraging, wise.

I'm asking myself today, what would I change in my life if I knew I was going to die, say, next year?
I would stop caring about what other people think.
I would stop trying to be perfect.
I would simplify.
I would create more free time, less busy time.
I would lean into my fear and try new things.
I would tell the truth about the big things going on in my life.
I would stop worrying about money.
I would stop wasting time on things that are not important to me.
I would spend less time on the internet.
I would get outdoors more.
I would cherish my family more.
I would probably get up and move to the place where my heart lies.

Today marks the first time I truly want to live.


"Now I want you to do something for me. Take me out to Cyprus Hill in my car. And we will hear the dead people talk. They do talk there. They chatter together like birds on Cyprus Hill. But what they say is one word. And that word is "live." They say, "Live, live, live, live, live!" It's what they've learned there. It's the only advice they can give. 'Just live.' Simple! A very simple instruction."

Tennessee Williams, Orpheus Descending

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry about the loss of your grandfather as well. I love this post on truly living. Hugs and love from me too.

    ReplyDelete